Only Child Syndrome

My photo
The fact is this...I am a LATE thirty-something, an only child with one living parent and I hate, by the way, being an only child.

I am a drama queen and I know it, and I love it and I won't change it!

I am finally in a career that I love and I finally found someone special, just for me and my dramatic nature!

I am a horse lover. I love and ride Appaloosa horses.

I am and artsy-farts and love all aspects of the Arts and Culture. I am an Independent Stylist for Stella & Dot and love the jewels.

I have a dog who is my four legged baby, her name is Effie and I have another three legged baby and her name is Daisy.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Have you herd? It's ABC Wednesday!

Well...it's a coincidence really.....A is for Appaloosa. I never really thought of it. I was perusing Blue's Blog and saw it...so here we are.
Mr. Linky for ABC Wednesday
Hosted by Denise


Ghostwind Appaloosas

(Phantom) Ghostwind Appaloosas

Now that our stallion has passed here at our ranch (Pipestone Appaloosas & P.O.A.s), we are looking for a new stud for our mares. We have about 6-8 mares and only breed 2-3 a year. I've been there when we bred all of the mares and the halter breaking process is a nightmare when you have 8 rotten little colts to do!


(Sugar and Ice)

I am hoping to breed at least two mares next spring. Legs however, thinks otherwise. But I pay for the feed and I am the one doing the mucking and grooming and the selling so I figure its ok. He does his cow thing and I do my horse thing. Tit for tat.




(Ava and her baby)

I am excited about this. I love the babies. They are so cute and SOooo rotten! They are curious about everything and have an untouchable attitude! They say that a horse will take on the personality of its owner. I do believe that to be true. Bosley, whom I have had since he was a yearling and is now 20 some is skiddish, thinks there is a bear in every bush. He is nervous, but when in familiar surroundings is easy going and jovial.



(Ice)

Jeannie, however, was not raised by me. I bought her when she was 5 and her previous owner was a witch (with a "B"). She is moody, and crabby and is only happy when she is at the feed bucket by herself....her previous owner was a rather large woman, who I suspect likes her food too!

Bonnie, who is "homegrown" is happy. She never has a "moment". She is willing to do whatever I ask of her. She is the one who comes running when she sees me. She comes full tilt right towards me, I stand my ground.....and she always comes to a sliding stop, with her nose inches from mine. I trust her with my life.

Katie too is "homegrown". She is only 2 years old. She is super sweet and one smart horse!. She plays tag with me. I haven't run across a horse this smart in years. She was the one I saw born. It is very rare to see a horse being born, but her momma Anna was an amazing creature too. I am not sure how Katie will turn out but I am keeping her and have her booked in next year with the trainer.

Then there is Jay....she is a 3 year old and very smart as well. So smart that I am having a helluva time halter breaking her. I will put her halter on her and she won't step on the shank, she steps over it, around it, beside it!

When we halter break colts, we put them in a little pen for about two weeks, feeding and watering. It's a smaller pen so they can't get caught up in anything. We add a shank (lead rope) to their halter so they step on it, dragging it on the ground, teaching themselves to learn to give to the shank, rather than them seeing us causing them stress by pulling on their faces. It works really well....except for Jay!

I have about 6 others to bring up from Ma Kettles. 4 are booked in to the trainers and are heading there this month. Two I am giving to Legs and the rest are mine. Mine, mine, all mine, and nobody elses but mine.

Anyway getting back to the original topic....Ghostwind Appaloosas is where we are taking some of our lucky ladies! They boast 100% colour which is exactly what we are looking for.

3 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

Welcome aboard! Yes it is the right thing to do on a Wednesday! We are up to C, so next week will be D! Lovely horses, what a rewarding thing to do.

Kyanite said...

Glad to find your joining in here too.
Host Denise is great, we now chat regularly on the phone but I only got to know her through this meme.

Nydia said...

You must feel so good doing what you do!! These horses are gorgeous and majestic!

Hope you stay with us ABC freaks long! :o)

Kisses from Nydia.

Ahhhh George