Only Child Syndrome

My photo
The fact is this...I am a LATE thirty-something, an only child with one living parent and I hate, by the way, being an only child.

I am a drama queen and I know it, and I love it and I won't change it!

I am finally in a career that I love and I finally found someone special, just for me and my dramatic nature!

I am a horse lover. I love and ride Appaloosa horses.

I am and artsy-farts and love all aspects of the Arts and Culture. I am an Independent Stylist for Stella & Dot and love the jewels.

I have a dog who is my four legged baby, her name is Effie and I have another three legged baby and her name is Daisy.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Happy Birthday Grapa! Favourite Things Thursday




If my grandfather were alive today, we would be celebrating his birthday today. A Favourite Thing! How appropriate!




My grandfather meant and still means the world to me to this day. I miss him terribly.

He taught me alot of things. He taught me how to hammer nails, how to drive the truck, car, grain truck (stick shift and all), the tractor and the grader. He showed me how to properly shovel manure so that you could pack more on! Teehee. He taught me how to play crib. The list goes on and on....

Nobody was prepared (and when are you really?)for his death, least of all me. You just think that people who mean the most to you will live forever...physically. Now that he is gone he still teaches me things.

Patience for one. I can hardly wait to see him again, but I have to wait. It is not my time.

Secondly, humour, I think of all the good times we had. Like the time we were driving in the pasture and I ran over a boulder. We hit that rock so hard that both of our heads hit the roof of the truck, grapa's lower dentures flew out of his mouth and on to the dash. We both looked at each other. He put his teeth back in and we got out to see how much damage I did. I scraped off the bumper and the front axle was hung up on the rock. Grapa looked at me and said, "I'll get the tractor and we won't tell grama about this." To this day it still makes me laugh.

Thirdly, pathos, I have never felt a feeling like this before. With him being gone, this is what I feel....sorrow, emptiness, desolate. I hate it. I don't want to talk about that part.

But today is his birthday...so Happy Birthday Grapa!

You are never far from my thoughts, you are never far from my heart and I know you are always with me.

I love you,
Your Liebling


This great Favourite Things Thursday idea is by Blue!

1 comment:

Kyanite said...

What a lovely tribute to your Grapa. It makes a touching Favourite Thing post.
Thanks for sharing, I personally never knew the joy of having grandparents.

Blue
x

Ahhhh George