Only Child Syndrome

My photo
The fact is this...I am a LATE thirty-something, an only child with one living parent and I hate, by the way, being an only child.

I am a drama queen and I know it, and I love it and I won't change it!

I am finally in a career that I love and I finally found someone special, just for me and my dramatic nature!

I am a horse lover. I love and ride Appaloosa horses.

I am and artsy-farts and love all aspects of the Arts and Culture. I am an Independent Stylist for Stella & Dot and love the jewels.

I have a dog who is my four legged baby, her name is Effie and I have another three legged baby and her name is Daisy.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A little advice


Once again, I had an ah-ha moment on the weekend.


When I got married. I hyphenated my last name. Some things I put in his last name only, like credit cards and some I kept my maiden and hyphenated it with his.
I kept my last name just in case my dead beat dad was ever trying to find me, because I certainly could not find him.
Now, I never wish divorce on anyone but these are the things I now know:


1). Make sure you have your own credit established.


2). Make sure you are in the "know" of the finances in the household.


3). Pay some of the bills yourself.


4). Don't have a joint account, and if you do, start your own! Please!


5). Make sure you have a least one credit card in your name! This does not include the airmiles card!!


6). Keep your last name. Hyphenate the thing and sign his last name on everything to make him feel better, but for heaven sake...keep your last name. Way less hassle to get it back...if you so choose. If your happy with carrying on his last name even in the case of divorce well, that's up to you. But should you choose to ever, ever get your maiden name back....it's not easy.


ok....I feel better now.


Three and a half years later and I'm still fighting it....not him per say, but the name thing.


I just want my name back. Who knew it would be this hard to get MY identity back.


This is me, Fairy Mae.... and I'm still shaking my head.

3 comments:

Wilma said...

What you said, was Reason #1 I never changed my name.

Reason #2 - I was too damn old.

Reason #3 - there are enough Krackers in this world already.

Reason #4 - I already had a perfectly good last name - why the hell should I change it?

Mick & Cathy said...

Good advice

Queen of Halloween said...

Wished I'd had that advice on the top five! Sadly I was only smart enough to keep my maiden name. Big bold letters of WARNING to those who let their spouse do their taxes. Women with little or no income CANNOT borrow money...banks will have nothing to do with you! Its been 5 glorious years in freedom but still scraping to make ends meet! Again...great advice!

Ahhhh George