Only Child Syndrome

My photo
The fact is this...I am a LATE thirty-something, an only child with one living parent and I hate, by the way, being an only child.

I am a drama queen and I know it, and I love it and I won't change it!

I am finally in a career that I love and I finally found someone special, just for me and my dramatic nature!

I am a horse lover. I love and ride Appaloosa horses.

I am and artsy-farts and love all aspects of the Arts and Culture. I am an Independent Stylist for Stella & Dot and love the jewels.

I have a dog who is my four legged baby, her name is Effie and I have another three legged baby and her name is Daisy.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Being a kid

Do you remember Greatest American Hero? How about The A-Team? Growing Pains?
Are you Being Served? - Great British Comedy as well as Hyacinth and Richard in Keeping Up Appearances?

Do you remember Knight Rider? How about Growing Pains?

As for Movies...how about The Goonies? and my all time favourite....Who's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?

Television was my baby sitter. I was a latch-key kid.

Mom worked all the time and if I wasn't involved in an after school activity, which at McNaughton High, if you didn't have the right parents, social status, older jock brother or sister...you were crap so there was never any need for me to try out for any school stuff because I was a poor white kid with a single mother.

So television was my sitter, after school most days.

Tuesday evenings I was involved with the commumnity band. I played a wicked baritone (medium sized tuba). It was bigger than me for many years. My grapa always had to carry it in for me. I started out playing the piccolo, then moved to trumpet and played that for many, many years. Then my band director discovered the baritone and that instrument was for me. I went to the University of Brandon for many years, every Saturday for private lessons. I still play a mean baritone to this day!

Wednesdays were tap, jazz and ballet lessons...a useless fact is that I can actually teach tap. I received my tap papers years ago. I danced from about age 5 till I was 18. Every once in awhile, I get in the mood to tap still.

Thursdays were piano lessons. I hated piano. My big clunky fingers always stumbled over themselves. my piano teacher, Mrs. Smith was awesome! I loved her to pieces.

Thursday nights were dreaded Air Cadets. My mom was big in Air Cadets so naturally I had to join. The year I joined was awful. We had no NCO and all we did that year were drills. No camping, no plane rides...nothing. As a little kid I went everywhere with mom and the cadets. I did go gliding, camping, and all sorts, but the year I actually joined...sucked.

Sunday Afternoons were band practice again. Shorty's Band. I can't tell you how many competitions we entered, how many times we played at the parliament building for the mucky mucks. Crazy.

Of course I had horse shows to go to in the summer and always placed, played fastball and was damn good at it. I was on the Provincial Softball team for years. Had a kick-ass throwing arm. I played catcher and could throw from home to center...as well I could hit a ball pretty good too!

My grapa and grama were huge in my life. They took care of me when mom was gone and working. They carted things around and paid for some of my "developing talents". My mom kept me busy which made me stay outta trouble! God love her!

Not sure how I got time in for television!

No comments:

Ahhhh George