Only Child Syndrome

My photo
The fact is this...I am a LATE thirty-something, an only child with one living parent and I hate, by the way, being an only child.

I am a drama queen and I know it, and I love it and I won't change it!

I am finally in a career that I love and I finally found someone special, just for me and my dramatic nature!

I am a horse lover. I love and ride Appaloosa horses.

I am and artsy-farts and love all aspects of the Arts and Culture. I am an Independent Stylist for Stella & Dot and love the jewels.

I have a dog who is my four legged baby, her name is Effie and I have another three legged baby and her name is Daisy.

Monday, December 07, 2009

Reflection

As Christmas draws near, the more I pine for my grandparents.
If I could spend just one day each with them just one more, I would, well, I don't know what I would sell to have just one more day with them but I know something would go.

Christmas was always at Grama's house and when she got older, I would take days off, come home and help her start cooking, all the prep that needed to be done before everyone, even Santa came to the house.

I would prep and she would tell me what to add, if something needed a little more of this or to whip the meringue to that consistency.

I miss that so much. If I had just one more day with her I would ask her to give me the Sour Cream Raisin Pie recipie and to help me make her cheese bread and to go over one more time just who all were in those family pictures from way back when.

I miss her telling me what a good girl I am. I miss her smell, her smile and her wisdom.

Grapa, well if I had just one more day with him, I would ask how he could always turn a dollar into a hundred, I would ask him to show me just one more time how to build that frame for the chicken house stronger, what kind of shingles and to show me how to keep the oil shed and garage from falling down. I miss playing crib with him, the fake arm wrestling and most of all I miss dancing the polka, and waltz with him while Lawrence Welk repeats were on.

I miss going to church every Christmas eve with the family, drunk uncles or not. Grama oblivious to them and grapa looking at them with his eyebrows knitted together and my cousins and I giggling at them all.

I had three very important people in my life, my mom, my grapa and my grama, and now, now I am down to one very important person in my life and thats my mom. I went from three to one in such a short time. My mom is still so very important to me and love her dearly...eventhough she drives me nutty sometimes! I wouldn't miss it.

Christmas time is a bitter sweet time. Eventhough, I have lost two very important people in my life, my prolific cousin now has three kids, the youngest is nine months the middle one is 5 and the oldest 14. I must say that it is kinda fun to have young ones in the house excited for Santa and I am looking forward to seeing the nine month old as he has me wrapped around his little finger.

This Christmas I will be spending with Buster, his little girl and his family until the 27th, then home I go to my dear family. I am looking forward to it, as it is new chapter in my life and I am hoping it will be a chapter that lasts for a long, long time, one that when I am old and gray and nodding by the fire will think about fondly and smile.

No comments:

Ahhhh George