Only Child Syndrome

My photo
The fact is this...I am a LATE thirty-something, an only child with one living parent and I hate, by the way, being an only child.

I am a drama queen and I know it, and I love it and I won't change it!

I am finally in a career that I love and I finally found someone special, just for me and my dramatic nature!

I am a horse lover. I love and ride Appaloosa horses.

I am and artsy-farts and love all aspects of the Arts and Culture. I am an Independent Stylist for Stella & Dot and love the jewels.

I have a dog who is my four legged baby, her name is Effie and I have another three legged baby and her name is Daisy.

Monday, November 24, 2008

The hell job

Well, I worked this weekend at the hell job. It went really well.

This is how it works.

I get paid by the hour PLUS commission. I hate it. The girls get snarly if you go out of turn and us oldsters nab up the customers that the new girls forget they have. We can handle 2-3 customers and they don't have the knack for it yet. It is dog eat dog! We have warned the new girls many times. You forget you have a customer and take on too many, if one of your many customer comes to us with a question or help...they are ours.

I know it is mean. But shit happens! It teaches them to be aware or their surroundings, and to get your butt in gear and learn how to work!

We have a high turnover at the hell job for a few reasons.
1). Our boss is a nut.
2). Our District Manager is very young and has no idea that you don't go drinking with the staff regularly or you end up getting no respect because you are now considered a friend.
3). Our nutty boss only hires 16-18 year olds so she can intimidate them, and then they either quit or go to school.
4). She doesn't hire oldsters like us because we don't put up with her crap.

We also have a high turnover because there is no work ethic with the younger generation.

At the hell job, this particular western wear store is so cheap that we have to do our own
cleaning there...yup! No cleaning staff is hired for this company! We not only have to sell on commission but we have to clean windows, wipe down racks, and vacuum. So while we are doing all the chores, we lose sales, which means we get no commission.

Ahh haaa...the commission.
The store has a set $ plan. If the store makes its monthly plan you get 4% of your sales...and thats only if you make your own personal plan! If the store does not make it you only get 3% and that's if you make your own personal plan too. If you do not make your own personal plan...you get 1%! And let me tell ya, that 1-3% is quite a difference! When I worked full time at the hell job I only ever got 3% twice...that was an extra 5-700 dollars. Most times I only ever made 1% which meant 100.00 extra.

Commission sucks.

So yes...the hell job is truly the hell job.

Why do I stay there?

While employed there, I have made a few true blue friends. Ones who still work there, and so it is kinda nice to be able to hide behind a rack for a few minutes just say hi and to make arrangements to go for drinks after work, and the others who have graced the doors of the western wear store and said "this woman is crazy", have left and gone on to bigger and better, like Home Depot!! We still get togther. And I have made a few horsey friends too....plus, I get a good discount.

No comments:

Ahhhh George