Only Child Syndrome

My photo
The fact is this...I am a LATE thirty-something, an only child with one living parent and I hate, by the way, being an only child.

I am a drama queen and I know it, and I love it and I won't change it!

I am finally in a career that I love and I finally found someone special, just for me and my dramatic nature!

I am a horse lover. I love and ride Appaloosa horses.

I am and artsy-farts and love all aspects of the Arts and Culture. I am an Independent Stylist for Stella & Dot and love the jewels.

I have a dog who is my four legged baby, her name is Effie and I have another three legged baby and her name is Daisy.

Monday, August 24, 2009

At the farm

I was at the farm this past weekend and enjoyed the heck outta myself by attending a cabaret hosted by a Pipeline outfit that has been in town for the past few months. They threw the party to thank the community for welcoming them. It was free booze and free food. Can't get much better then that! The band they hired to play was exceptional too. Not only did I have my fill on food and drink but I cut a rug a few times too!

The rest of the weekend was spent fixing fence...that is a never ending job and looking for a missing horse. This is the second horse that has gone missing. We did eventually find the first horse and discovered that a cougar was the culprit and we think that is what happened again. We called our neighbours to see if they saw our missing horse and they told us they lost a mare last month to a cougar....so we called the game warden and he told us to take the gun out with us the next time we check on horses.

While I was walking two miles of fence it suddenly dawned on me that we have a big cat roaming the pasture and by the time I thought of it, all I had to defend myself if I needed to, was a hammer, fencing pliers and three dogs. I figured I was covered so I carried on walking fence. On my way back however, I was in the slough patching fence and the two dogs started to bark and growl. My whole body tensed. The little blonde bomb dog Tammy, stuck close to me. The dogs wouldn't stop barking so I decided to arm myself with the hammer and check it out.

Theo and Effie had trapped a beaver...some relief there! I called them off and we were all happily on our way again.

Yesterday was time to head home and mom and I decided to check all the horses once more before I left. We discovered that one of our babies was so lame that she couldn't step on her front foot....we called Angle-a and her and the kids came out to help wrangle a wild filly on three legs! Well...we managed to get mom, baby and babysitter into the barn, give oats to the guardians and cornered the wild eyed filly. Good thing she was little, I would say about 3-400 pounds. We managed to get the halter on her, give her a needle full of penicillin and rinse her little foot to see what was the cause of her pain....which took all of about 15 minutes....easy!

I was on my way back to the Border Town...yippy. Note of sarcasm there...

Back to the farm in a couple of weeks....wonder what adventure lies ahead!

No comments:

Ahhhh George